Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Partner migration

Notices

Best place to apply
Old 18th June 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
bjc

Default Best place to apply

Hi,

I am an Australian citizen and have been living and working in South East Asia for the last six years. I am married to an Indonesian national (married in Australia last year). We are currently living in Indonesia.

My wife has travelled with on several occassions to Australia, for short visits on a tourist visa. She usually gets a mutiple entry visa, valid for 12 months with one months maximum stay, from the Australian Embassy in Singapore. We were not married when she got these visas, but my name was on the application as her defacto.

My company will re assign me sometime in the next 1 - 2 years. No idea where yet, but eventually it will be back to Australia. As such we will need to apply fo a temporary resident visa.

Can anyone offer me advise as to the best place to apply, be it Jakarta, Singapore or when we are visiting Australia later this year on a tourist visa ? I have heard that the Jakarta and Singapore embassies are not also user friendly ? Can we apply while we are on a tourist visit ?

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks

Old 19th June 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
nvoorst

Nick van Voorst van Beest Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0640648

Hi,

I take it that you are considering applying for a spouse visa ?
Normally you would apply for it in the country where your wife is living.
Technically she could apply for one in Australia as long as her tourist visa does not have a "no further stay" (or other similar) condition on it.

Regards,

Contact

www.ausvisa.net.au

Get the APP:
Apple:AUS VISA
Android: AUS VISA

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances. Migration advice can only be provided after a contract has been entered into and the required fee has been paid.
nvoorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
downundervisa

Jeffrey Peter Harvie Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0959797

I've had no experience with Jakarta or Singapore. Hong Kong is good to deal with.

I agree with Nick. As long as there's no "8503 - No further stay" condition on the visa, then applying in Australia will be the easiest. And it means she gains a Bridging Visa the moment the visitor visa expires, which allows her to continue staying.

Registered Migration Agent MARN 0959797

Offices in Brisbane QLD, and (main office) Manila Philippines

Email Me

www.downundervisa.com.au,
www.filipinawives.com.au,
www.fiancevisaphilippines.com.au,
www.spousevisaphilippines.com.au
downundervisa is offline   Reply With Quote