Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Partner migration


Thread Tools Display Modes
Best place to apply
Old 18th June 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 1
Default Best place to apply


I am an Australian citizen and have been living and working in South East Asia for the last six years. I am married to an Indonesian national (married in Australia last year). We are currently living in Indonesia.

My wife has travelled with on several occassions to Australia, for short visits on a tourist visa. She usually gets a mutiple entry visa, valid for 12 months with one months maximum stay, from the Australian Embassy in Singapore. We were not married when she got these visas, but my name was on the application as her defacto.

My company will re assign me sometime in the next 1 - 2 years. No idea where yet, but eventually it will be back to Australia. As such we will need to apply fo a temporary resident visa.

Can anyone offer me advise as to the best place to apply, be it Jakarta, Singapore or when we are visiting Australia later this year on a tourist visa ? I have heard that the Jakarta and Singapore embassies are not also user friendly ? Can we apply while we are on a tourist visit ?

Any insights appreciated.

bjc is offline  

Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
nvoorst's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,073
Nick van Voorst van Beest Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0640648


I take it that you are considering applying for a spouse visa ?
Normally you would apply for it in the country where your wife is living.
Technically she could apply for one in Australia as long as her tourist visa does not have a "no further stay" (or other similar) condition on it.

Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648



Get the APP:
Android: AUS VISA

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances. Migration advice can only be provided after a contract has been entered into and the required fee has been paid.
nvoorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
downundervisa's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Manila, Philippines - Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 374
Jeffrey Peter Harvie Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0959797

I've had no experience with Jakarta or Singapore. Hong Kong is good to deal with.

I agree with Nick. As long as there's no "8503 - No further stay" condition on the visa, then applying in Australia will be the easiest. And it means she gains a Bridging Visa the moment the visitor visa expires, which allows her to continue staying.
Jeff Harvie

Registered Migration Agent MARN 0959797

Offices in Brisbane QLD, and (main office) Manila Philippines

Email Me

downundervisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If i apply protection visa , can i still apply PR (state sponsorship) Littlecreature Other migration questions 1 14th July 2013 06:39 PM
856 when to apply... mrk0782 Employer sponsored 1 24th December 2010 10:33 AM
A place to call home Migration Help A place to call home 2 22nd January 2010 05:36 PM
Western Australia is the place to be!! Migration Help How and where to find work in Australia? 0 30th October 2009 11:54 AM

All times are GMT +11. The time now is 02:26 PM.
A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.