Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Partner migration

Notices

HUNDREDS of 17-year-old girls have been brought to Australia to get married under a g
Old 7th November 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Migration Help

Default HUNDREDS of 17-year-old girls have been brought to Australia to get married under a g

Australian law allows minors to wed only in strictly controlled circumstances, with court approval. Child safety campaigners are demanding an immediate inquiry.

Figures released to the Herald Sun show more than 200 17-year-old girls have been granted prospective spouse visas over the past five years. Most are from the Middle East or South-East Asia.

One 17-year-old from Thailand was brought out by a 57-year-old man. An Iraqi 17-year-old girl was sponsored by a 50-year-old.

More than 100 17-year-olds from Lebanon alone, sponsored by men aged from 19 to 37, have been granted visas. Under visa conditions, they must wed their sponsor within nine months.

In one case, a year 10 Lebanese girl sought protection after she arrived on a prospective spouse visa for an arranged marriage to a man decades her senior.

She found he was a violent drunk who kept a previous wife and three children in an adjoining townhouse. She was granted a protection visa after her own family threatened to kill her. "She will be slaughter and killed," the girl's family said in a letter. "By God, by God I will kill you at the airport and I will bury you in the grave. O you dog."

Hundreds more 18, 19, and 20-year-old women have been sponsored by older men. The Australian Childhood Foundation's Joe Tucci said the figures were shocking and called for an urgent inquiry..............

SOURCE

MH

Old 7th November 2011, 03:28 PM   #2
downundervisa

Jeffrey Peter Harvie Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0959797

One abusive relationship in 200? That's 0.5%. Not so bad. I'm sure the figures for the rest of the population is far higher.

Sounds like another bored journalist. 200 applicants....out of 54,543 successful applications.....are for 17yr olds. 0.36% of applications, in other words. I wonder how this related to ordinary population figures? And perhaps 199 of these applications resulted in very happy marriages. It's quite normal in many parts of the world to have a disparity in age. The opinion of many cultures (many of whom have much higher rates of marriage success than us enlightened Aussies) is that men under 30 are not ready for marriage, whilst women mature earlier. From a reproductive and practical point of view it makes more sense to have a healthy young woman and a man established in his career and personal life.

Registered Migration Agent MARN 0959797

Offices in Brisbane QLD, and (main office) Manila Philippines

Email Me

www.downundervisa.com.au,
www.filipinawives.com.au,
www.fiancevisaphilippines.com.au,
www.spousevisaphilippines.com.au
downundervisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Team Oyeniyi

I agree with you Jeff. Have you read my "Emotive Reporting, perhaps?" article? Very strange warping of the statistics in the article I analysed, let me tell you. I heard about this one on the radio coming home. Similar headline dramatisation.

Must be a slow news day.
Received Appeal Acknowledgement via lawyer December 22, 2010 (dated December 14)
AHRC complaint lodged January 19, 2011
MRT Hearing date February 17, 2010
Appeal WON February 17, 2011
MRT Decision issued March 4, 2011
Notification of visa grant received May 25, 2011
http://teamoyeniyi.com - Love versus Goliath
Team Oyeniyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Richard Quirin

Richard Quirin Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0848935

Quote:
Originally Posted by downundervisa View Post
One abusive relationship in 200? That's 0.5%. Not so bad. I'm sure the figures for the rest of the population is far higher.

Sounds like another bored journalist. 200 applicants....out of 54,543 successful applications.....are for 17yr olds. 0.36% of applications, in other words. I wonder how this related to ordinary population figures? And perhaps 199 of these applications resulted in very happy marriages. It's quite normal in many parts of the world to have a disparity in age. The opinion of many cultures (many of whom have much higher rates of marriage success than us enlightened Aussies) is that men under 30 are not ready for marriage, whilst women mature earlier. From a reproductive and practical point of view it makes more sense to have a healthy young woman and a man established in his career and personal life.
Hi Jeff,
Very interesting subject matter. I agree with you only to the extent where there is no exploitation of women and where women are entering into these relationships of their own volition and as intellectually developed not only developed in the reproductive sense.

Personally I have come across a number of gentleman or rather men in their 60ís and even 70ís seeking to sponsor young ladies from South East Asia, all of which were young, beautiful, impoverished and presumably more submissive than their ex wives. If we can protect the vulnerable fromí these kindsí of predators then that is a good thing. All of that said, I agree with placing this and other issues into the proportional context of all partner visa applications.

cheers
Richard Quirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Team Oyeniyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Quirin View Post
Personally I have come across a number of gentleman or rather men in their 60ís and even 70ís seeking to sponsor young ladies from South East Asia, all of which were young, beautiful, impoverished and presumably more submissive than their ex wives. If we can protect the vulnerable fromí these kindsí of predators then that is a good thing. All of that said, I agree with placing this and other issues into the proportional context of all partner visa applications.
I agree with you too Richard. Particularly with the "placing this and other issues into the proportional context of all partner visa applications". That is what I was trying to emphasise.

There will never not be some issues, but in the grander scheme of things the media has a lot to answer for, I think.
Received Appeal Acknowledgement via lawyer December 22, 2010 (dated December 14)
Old 11th November 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
downundervisa

MARN 0959797

One of my first partner visa clients a few years back was a 64yr old, with a 27yr old fiancee. I admit I scoffed at this (privately). But when I got to know them better I discovered that were were actually a very close couple. We still keep in touch now they're in Australia. He's a young-at-heart 64yr old, and she's an old fashioned girl. It made me decide to curb my judgement, that's for sure!

The myth of the submissive Asian woman is one fostered more by extremist feminists, and is actually quite racist. (Have a read of www.filipinawives.com.au) I've been exposed to the Filipino culture for maybe 15 years now, and my wife is Filipina....as are my 3 daughters.....and on the contrary they can get downright scary! In the early days of our marriage we used to get idiots trying to "rescue" her and teach her the proper white-person way. We lost a few friends in those early years!

Yes, no doubt there are morons who think they can get themselves a pet, but I'm happy to say I don't see them in my clientele. I think my websites scare those characters off. I would say confidently that maybe 95% of our clients are very happy couples who have a lot of respect for each other. The 5% would generally be lonely old men who end up being the abuse-victim, ie. they're the ones being used.

Email Me

Old 12th November 2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Richard Quirin

Richard Quirin Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0848935

Quote:
Originally Posted by downundervisa View Post
One of my first partner visa clients a few years back was a 64yr old, with a 27yr old fiancee. I admit I scoffed at this (privately). But when I got to know them better I discovered that were were actually a very close couple. We still keep in touch now they're in Australia. He's a young-at-heart 64yr old, and she's an old fashioned girl. It made me decide to curb my judgement, that's for sure!

The myth of the submissive Asian woman is one fostered more by extremist feminists, and is actually quite racist. (Have a read of www.filipinawives.com.au) I've been exposed to the Filipino culture for maybe 15 years now, and my wife is Filipina....as are my 3 daughters.....and on the contrary they can get downright scary! In the early days of our marriage we used to get idiots trying to "rescue" her and teach her the proper white-person way. We lost a few friends in those early years!

Yes, no doubt there are morons who think they can get themselves a pet, but I'm happy to say I don't see them in my clientele. I think my websites scare those characters off. I would say confidently that maybe 95% of our clients are very happy couples who have a lot of respect for each other. The 5% would generally be lonely old men who end up being the abuse-victim, ie. they're the ones being used.

Hey Jeff,

If I had a 27 year old daughter I would have grave concerns about her marrying a 64 year old. That is a 37 year difference....smiles. On the average life expectancy figurers, it is not likely that if children are born from the relationship that they will know their father for more than 10-20 years (if that).

That said, I am more interested in understanding the situation of this young lady... I suspect that she was impoverished or extremely financially challenged and this was perhaps a marriage of convenience to escape her poverty. Which one can understand, but is that the kind of world that we want to live in where financial position governs our freedom of choice? This poor woman in my view is not a wife but likely a carer. If she had the choices say that we have in Australia would she be entertaining such a relationship??

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

Richard
Richard Quirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 08:20 PM   #8
downundervisa

MARN 0959797

On the surface you could possibly imagine this. No, not rich. But highly dignified. Never took a cent from him, except for migration expenses. She and my wife became good friends. In fact she stayed with us for a week before she caught her plane to Australia. Her hubby is a professional tennis coach and will probably outlive us all. No, he wasn't looking for a chickybabe in high heals. Tess is not that type of girl, let me assure you. He was hoping to meet someone closer to his own age, but they just happened to fall in love.

It happens far more often than the femonazi and racist propaganda would like you to believe. My wife is Filipina and we've had to deal with all the "bought a wife" and "trained from birth to serve men" rot ourselves. Her family, far from participating in slave-trade) had their own cliched nonsense in their minds and believed I'd murder her for insurance money. We get the occasional idiot, but by far the majority of our clients are quiet and shy men who wouldn't hurt (or dominate or enslave) a fly.

Email Me

Old 12th November 2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Team Oyeniyi

I remember my lawyer telling me about a similar couple he has as a case too - big age difference. At first he was a little sceptical, but they convinced him they were genuine. I agree - it happens. Different cultures do have different expectations when it comes to relationships. Irish men do not traditionally marry young, for example, yet they marry younger women.

What of my situation? The reverse scenario, really, but I am older. I don't look it, I don't act it, but I am.