Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Skilled migration

Notices

Self Emplyment evidence for Visa 887
Old 5th February 2011, 10:52 PM   #1
sal

Default Self Emplyment evidence for Visa 887

I will be applying for 887 visa subclass in a month or so. I am working for the last 2 yrs with a company and it is on my ABN. I have the pay advices with me. As I am Self-Employed, how is it possible that I can use certain documents from the company as evidence to satisfy the requirements?
It is written in the requirements that a person can work for some employer or for himself/herself. The full-time work experience criteria can be documented by a person who is employed by the employer very easily. But a self-employed person can only provide a contract, pay advices, GST statements, income tax returns etc. But no document will be stating that the person has worked on full-time basis.
Can anyone tell me which type of documents exactly be used?

Old 6th February 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Robert K Chelliah

Kandralingam Chelliah Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9254011

There are three or more elements you must evidence in a clear and structured manner.
1. As per definition in the regulations you must show you have been employed in the claimed occupation and for the required period for a minumum of 20 hours per week for (not with) renumeration.This 20 hours can be spread over the week in many ways depending on the nature of your service. For example a consultant/advisor spends awful lot of time thinking and planning for the end product. The time spent in planning and thinking about the "end product" is considered as time spent in employment.
2. Frequency of payment received. This frequency need not be of regular consistency but apread over the period of time. Such payments received usually has invoices, description of services rendered. The quantum is immaterial. Debts and unpaid invoices can be considered as " working for renumeration". (I had sucessufully argued at the MRT that the wording in the legislation is "FOR" renemueration and not "WITH" remuneration.

3. proper tax returns, registration of company with ABN number, proper place of work (even if it is part of your kitchen is acceptable) and the basic tools such as computer, phone , letter head and promotional materials.

I hope these help.

Cheers
Email : rkc@austmigration.com.sg
www.austmigration.com.au
Tel: +61 8 92464088
Robert K Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Excellent response Robert. All I would add sal is, make sure you put together a comprehensive well-articulated application.

It is up to the applicant or the applicant's agent, to ensure that not only is there sufficient documentary evidence but also that the application hangs together well so that the Case Officer can see the merits of the application on the papers in front of him or her. You put yourself at immediate risk of a refusal if the CO is presented with ambiguity, lack of coherent concrete evidence etc.

Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:18 PM   #4
sal

thank you very much for the help
sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Self Employment evidence for 887 Subclass visa.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:41 PM   #5
sajjadsuleman

Default Self Employment evidence for 887 Subclass visa.

I am self employed and working as a courier for more than one year. I dont know how can I provide the documentary evidence for the full-time employment evidence. I have the Pay Advices for the period of my work. I am also submitting GST statements.
How can I prove that I am working full-time as Self employed people have the pay advices only. I have good income.
I am sure someone will help.
Thanks
sajjadsuleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Subclass 887 Evidence of self-employment
Old 17th August 2017, 04:26 PM   #6
rakis19

Default Subclass 887 Evidence of self-employment

Dear Robert,

I have applied for visa subclass 489 and hoping to get it soon. I am currently working as a business consultant for 2 clients for about 25-30 hours in total and work for around minimum 12-15 hours for bookkeping, planning, communicating with clients, thinking about methods for attracting more clients, networking, etc. I am thinking about the business structure that suits the best for immigration and tax reasons (whether to continue as a sole trader OR start a company/trust and become an employee if that's more legitimate and reduces hassle in the future).
You mentioned that a 'minimum of 20h/wk for remuneration would sufficient meet the self-employment criteria for visa subclass 887. Where can I find more information about this in immi / border website? I am planning to take 4 weeks of holiday in a year and am not sure how to address this.
I sincerely appreciate if you can redirect me to correct online link or printed material to read more about 'definition, criteria and evidence for self-employment'.

Regards,
Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert K Chelliah View Post
There are three or more elements you must evidence in a clear and structured manner.
1. As per definition in the regulations you must show you have been employed in the claimed occupation and for the required period for a minumum of 20 hours per week for (not with) renumeration.This 20 hours can be spread over the week in many ways depending on the nature of your service. For example a consultant/advisor spends awful lot of time thinking and planning for the end product. The time spent in planning and thinking about the "end product" is considered as time spent in employment.
2. Frequency of payment received. This frequency need not be of regular consistency but apread over the period of time. Such payments received usually has invoices, description of services rendered. The quantum is immaterial. Debts and unpaid invoices can be considered as " working for renumeration". (I had sucessufully argued at the MRT that the wording in the legislation is "FOR" renemueration and not "WITH" remuneration.

3. proper tax returns, registration of company with ABN number, proper place of work (even if it is part of your kitchen is acceptable) and the basic tools such as computer, phone , letter head and promotional materials.

I hope these help.

Cheers
rakis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 04:27 PM   #7
rakis19

Dear Robert,

I have applied for visa subclass 489 and hoping to get it soon. I am currently working as a business consultant for 2 clients for about 25-30 hours in total and work for around minimum 12-15 hours for bookkeping, planning, communicating with clients, thinking about methods for attracting more clients, networking, etc. I am thinking about the business structure that suits the best for immigration and tax reasons (whether to continue as a sole trader OR start a company/trust and become an employee if that's more legitimate and reduces hassle in the future).
You mentioned that a 'minimum of 20h/wk for remuneration would sufficient meet the self-employment criteria for visa subclass 887. Where can I find more information about this in immi / border website? I am planning to take 4 weeks of holiday in a year and am not sure how to address this.
I sincerely appreciate if you can redirect me to correct online link or printed material to read more about 'definition, criteria and evidence for self-employment'.

Regards,
Ram
rakis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 10:29 PM   #8
Ayesha

Hi Robert,

I'm on 489 skilled regional visa and I'm the primary applicant on 489 and my husband is dependant.
1)I want to know whether my husband can be the primary applicant while applying for 887.
2) he is driving for Uber and can he apply with that work experience.
3) is driving for considered as self employment, because he works on ABN? if so what are the documents which needs to be provided?

Kindly help me with the queries
Thanks in advance

Please help me with
Ayesha is offline   Reply With Quote