Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Employer sponsored


Thread Tools Display Modes
457 Requirements
Old 7th October 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1
Default 457 Requirements


I am looking to apply for a 457 visa. I am already employed by an Australian company and have been working there for almost 3 months now on a working holiday visa. They have agreed to sponsor me, but as I am their first sponsored worker they are not clear on the details either.
My first query is in regards to the 3 years work experience. The visa website says that this the minimum requirement, however other sites say that relevant qualifications can also suffice. Which of these is true, and what level of qualifications are expected if accepted?
My other question is, what are the restrictions for things you do in your own personal time outside of work. For example having a book published or self published, or creating a video game for a mobile device. Will hobbies of that nature, which bring in an additional income, conflict with any of the clauses in the 457 visa?


RossWarner is offline  

Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 07:47 AM   #2
nvoorst's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,073
Nick van Voorst van Beest Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0640648

Hi Ross.

The regulations state that : the applicant has the skills, qualifications and employment background that the Minister considers necessary to perform the tasks of the nominated occupation.

What is the nominated position and what qualifications do you have ? I some cases a skills assessment may be required.

If the company has not previously sponsored anyone they will have to apply to become a Standard Business Sponsor first. Meeting all the requirements, especially the training, market salary rate and genuine position requirements, can be quite complex, so they may consider getting some professional advice.

You may also have to apply to get an extension of your current work rights.

I can't see any issue with your "hobbies",as they would be incidental to your primary employment. You may have to seek clarification with the Department about that one, if you're concerned about it .

Finally, be very careful on relying on information you find on public websites , incl. the Department of Immigration website, as information can often be ambiguous, confusing and contradictory. Likewise, don't rely on any information you get on the Department's 131 phone number.
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648



Get the APP:
Android: AUS VISA

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances. Migration advice can only be provided after a contract has been entered into and the required fee has been paid.
nvoorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not meeting Health Requirements,Please Help. tanparm88 Health and Character Issues 5 20th September 2017 03:16 PM
ENS 186 Temporary Residence Transition Requirements marco.c84 Employer sponsored 3 30th September 2012 06:13 PM
856 Requirements for Students AndreG Employer sponsored 0 8th June 2011 11:47 AM
Training Requirements mrk0782 Employer sponsored 1 24th December 2010 10:35 AM

All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:51 PM.
A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.