Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Skilled migration

Notices

Help please! skilled independant visa with spouse - need to switch primary applicant
Old 21st November 2009, 01:59 AM   #1
yosekki

Default Help please! skilled independant visa with spouse - need to switch primary applicant

Hi, just hoping that somebody can give me some much needed advice.

My wife and i lodged a 175 skilled independent migrant visa (joint application) 6 months ago. We called today and found that priorities for processing had changed in september and there will now be a wait until 2012 before processing!

One way around this I think is to change the primary applicant (my wife - architect) and secondary applicant (myself - doctor). I believe that as my job is on the CSL list this would speed up the process.

Currently our application has not been assigned a case officer but we have done medical tests and CRC.

Any chance of switching the primary applicant at this stage? would there be a charge? or do we have to start the process all over again with no refund?

Any advice or experience would be much welcome!

Thank you

Old 22nd November 2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Amin Rahman

Amin Rahman Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0322761

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosekki View Post
Hi, just hoping that somebody can give me some much needed advice.

My wife and i lodged a 175 skilled independent migrant visa (joint application) 6 months ago. We called today and found that priorities for processing had changed in september and there will now be a wait until 2012 before processing!

One way around this I think is to change the primary applicant (my wife - architect) and secondary applicant (myself - doctor). I believe that as my job is on the CSL list this would speed up the process.

Currently our application has not been assigned a case officer but we have done medical tests and CRC.

Any chance of switching the primary applicant at this stage? would there be a charge? or do we have to start the process all over again with no refund?

Any advice or experience would be much welcome!

Thank you
Have you got a skills assessment as a Medical Practitioner?
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:30 PM   #3
yosekki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin Rahman View Post
Have you got a skills assessment as a Medical Practitioner?
Yes I have. I have been working in Australia as a doctor for some time now
yosekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Amin Rahman

Amin Rahman Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0322761

Quote:
Yes I have. I have been working in Australia as a doctor for some time now
Are you not able to get sponsored by your present employer or another employer for either an ENS or a RSMS visa? The processing would be very fast.
Old 23rd November 2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Tony Coates

Anthony Robert Coates Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0601801

Hi Yosekki

When a couple apply for a visa, both can be considered against the primary criteria. "Switching" the main applicant, without applying for a new visa, is usually only possible where spouse points were being claimed, as both applicants would have nominated a skilled application and both applicants would have had a successful skills assessment at time of application - as required.

So, if you were claiming spouse points and nominated medical practitioner and had the relevant skills assessment at time of the current application, you just need to advise DIAC tha you now wish to switch primary and secondary applicants. Otherwise, a new 175 application needs to be made with a new fee - but at least any new application would be processed very quickly.

Regards

Tony Coates
Tony Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:13 PM   #6
yosekki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coates View Post
Hi Yosekki

When a couple apply for a visa, both can be considered against the primary criteria. "Switching" the main applicant, without applying for a new visa, is usually only possible where spouse points were being claimed, as both applicants would have nominated a skilled application and both applicants would have had a successful skills assessment at time of application - as required.

So, if you were claiming spouse points and nominated medical practitioner and had the relevant skills assessment at time of the current application, you just need to advise DIAC tha you now wish to switch primary and secondary applicants. Otherwise, a new 175 application needs to be made with a new fee - but at least any new application would be processed very quickly.

Regards

Tony Coates
Thats great news! Thank you for that information. We both have relevant skills assessments that were included on the original application and points for my occupation etc were claimed as you stated. I contacted DIAC today and they have asked me to send a request in writing. Hope it all works out!
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:14 PM   #7
yosekki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin Rahman View Post
Are you not able to get sponsored by your present employer or another employer for either an ENS or a RSMS visa? The processing would be very fast.
Hi Amin. Due to restrictions on the employment scheme in the public hospital setting where we are employed from hospital to hospital on 'temporary' contracts for a yearly basis, it is not possible to get formal employer nomination for my occupation.
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Quote:
Thats great news! Thank you for that information. We both have relevant skills assessments that were included on the original application and points for my occupation etc were claimed as you stated. I contacted DIAC today and they have asked me to send a request in writing. Hope it all works out!
Great news! Thanks for your input Tony and yosekki please keep in touch and let us know what happens - it is encouraging for all to hear good news stories!!

Cheers
Sheelagh
Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:30 PM   #9
yosekki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheelagh Blanckenberg View Post
Great news! Thanks for your input Tony and yosekki please keep in touch and let us know what happens - it is encouraging for all to hear good news stories!!

Cheers
Sheelagh
No problems Sheelagh. Will make sure I post what happens as this seems to be an issue which is not often addressed. I hope my experience will benefit others in a similar situation.