Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Parents migration

Notices

143 Contributory Parent Visa - Waiting Time in Australia
Old 27th January 2011, 08:08 AM   #1
chazmaestro

Default 143 Contributory Parent Visa - Waiting Time in Australia

I am 74 and my wife is 65. Both our children live in Australia, in Adelaide and Melbourne. We are hoping to go out on a subclass 143 Contributory Parent Visa which on average takes about 18 months to process. I understand that the initial visa application charge is A$1735 covering both my wife and I, and that the final visa application charge is at present A$37965 each.

We would prefer spending as much time as possible in Australia while we are waiting for our visa application to be processed, so how can we go about this legitimately. On our visits we were issued with the normal electronic holiday visa which lasts 3 months I believe, and our purpose of visit stated “holiday”. Can we extend that visa once we are out there or do we need the Tourist subclass 676 visa for 12 months which costs about A$100 each. Would we need to go offshore near the end of the visa if we wanted to apply for another holiday visa?

Finally, our state pensions and private pensions are paid into our banks in UK. Do we wait until our Contributory Parent Visa has been approved before we open an Australian bank account?

Old 28th January 2011, 07:31 PM   #2
nvoorst

Nick van Voorst van Beest Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0640648

A 676 visa will allow you either a single or multiple entry to Australia for a stay period of up to three, six or 12 months.

The period of stay and number of entries granted will depend on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances.

It is not possible to give a general answer to your question, but your best option might be to try and get a single entry tourist visa that allows you to stay for 12 months,then try and extend it towards the end of the first 12 months, but be prepared that you might have to leave Australia for some time and apply for a new tourist visa. Also keep in mind that you have to be outside Australia for the grant of the sc. 143 visa, unless you are the holder of a sc. 173 (Contr. Parent temporary) visa.

Regards,

Contact

www.ausvisa.net.au

Get the APP:
Apple:AUS VISA
Android: AUS VISA

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances. Migration advice can only be provided after a contract has been entered into and the required fee has been paid.
nvoorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 01:14 PM   #3
nickluu73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoorst View Post
A 676 visa will allow you either a single or multiple entry to Australia for a stay period of up to three, six or 12 months.

The period of stay and number of entries granted will depend on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances.

It is not possible to give a general answer to your question, but your best option might be to try and get a single entry tourist visa that allows you to stay for 12 months,then try and extend it towards the end of the first 12 months, but be prepared that you might have to leave Australia for some time and apply for a new tourist visa. Also keep in mind that you have to be outside Australia for the grant of the sc. 143 visa, unless you are the holder of a sc. 173 (Contr. Parent temporary) visa.

Regards,
Hi Nick,

As you said, my parents who hold visa 679 can stay in Australia (subject to visa validation) while visa 173 granted?

Cheers
nickluu73 is offline   Reply With Quote