Go Back   Migration Help > Living in Australia > How and where to find work in Australia?

Notices

Is it legal to discriminate against 457 visa holders?
Old 27th April 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
cgBNE

Default Is it legal to discriminate against 457 visa holders?

Hello,
I've moved to Brisbane from the UK recently, accompanying my husband. We're on 457 visas sponsored by his employers. I'm looking for a job myself but finding lots of ads saying the position is only open to Australian citizens or permanent residents. Does anyone know if this is legal? Many thanks.

Old 3rd May 2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Robert K Chelliah

Kandralingam Chelliah Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9254011

I fail to see the discrimination here. Dependants of 457 visa holders are generally given work right as well, unless specifically barred. Employers are required by law to employ only thos who have work rights. All oz citizens and Pr's have unconditional work rights. temporary residents must be given work right during their saty in Australia. Employers are have the discretion as to whom they wish to give preference in offering employment. Most employers do not want to be saddled with the employment of temporary residents for likely break in continuity and investment in training.

It is only against the law to discriminate due to gender, age, and race.

Cheers
Email : rkc@austmigration.com.sg
www.austmigration.com.au
Tel: +61 8 92464088
Robert K Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote