Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Parents migration

Notices

Extending visa
Old 13th October 2009, 03:19 PM   #1
KTee

Default Extending visa

My mother often visits from the UK and is due to come out again for a 3 months stay. However, recently I have had some bad news re my own health and although I have my OH, I have a feeling I am going to need more help. Please could you advise what the best options are for my mother staying to help out.
Thanking you in advance.

Old 13th October 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Robert K Chelliah

Kandralingam Chelliah Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9254011

Hi KTee,

If you are in need of your mother as a care giver there is a special visa class for Care givers. The requirements are quite onerous and stringent assessment. Case officers will look at the question of "Are there no other alternatives or care givers/institutions in your area."

My advice would be make an appointment with an experienced Agent and go through thoroughly the requirements for Schedule 1, 2, and the PAM policy guidelines.Look at some successful MRT cases as well. Ask the Agent to empower you with the eligiblity requirements (usually there may be a small nominal consultation fee for this empowerment). Based on your understanding of the eligibility criteria, the stringent assessment regime in place, you and the Agent can decide on your options and the chances of a successful application.

Good luck.

Robert K Chelliah

Last edited by Migration Help; 15th October 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Typos
Robert K Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Hi KTee

Sorry to hear about your health. I am battling cancer for the second time in 5 years. My OH was and is a fantastic support but sometimes I just want my mum, so I really empathise with you.

As Robert says there is a visa which may be suitable. It is probably one of the most difficult or should I say tricky visas to obtain. Many hoops you need to jump through. But certainly possible. My advice, like Robert's, would be not to do it on your own. You can gleen a lot of info about the Carer visa on DIAC's website www.immi.gov.au and their booklet is good see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1130.pdf.

The biggest hurdle for you will be to obtain a certificate showing that:
  • you have a medical condition that is causing physical, intellectual or sensory impairment of the ability to attend to the practical aspects of daily life this means tasks such as bathing, toileting, cooking, shopping and housecleaning
  • because of the medical condition you need direct assistance in attending to the practical aspects of daily life
  • you will continue to need that help for at least two years, and
  • your level of impairment has a rating under the Impairment Tables which is at least equal to a rating of 30 (these are the Tables for the Assessment of Work-related Impairment for the Disability Support Pension in Schedule 1B to the Social Security Act).

This certificate can only be given by Health Services Australia.
The Minister must accept the opinion in the HSA certificate as correct for the purposes of deciding whether someone meets the carer criterion.

Be warned that the level set for a carer certificate is very high and if the visa application is refused and goes to review the MRT will not be able to substitute its own assessment for that contained in the certificate.

Hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 11:14 AM   #4
KTee

Thank you for the detailed information, I think at this stage it would not be possible to get the visa you mention as I can wash myself, do shopping etc. It would just be nice if she could be around for any treatment. I don't think I could live with her longer than 12 months otherwise I fear my mental health would also be at stake.
KTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Then a visitor visa for your mum would be the way to go. Unless she is looking to become a permanent resident in which case she would need to look at alternatives.

Cheers
Sheelagh
Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote