Notices

Break up of IELTS monopoly
Old 1st October 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161
Default Break up of IELTS monopoly

Quote:
A MONOPOLY enjoyed by the English language test IELTS is likely to be broken up.

Immigration and Citizenship Minister Chris Evans has given in-principle approval for rival tests to be officially recognised for checks of English proficiency when overseas students or workers seek visas.

"We're very hopeful. There's really no objective reason why TOEFL [the US-based Test of English as a Foreign Language] could not be confidently used in the Australian [immigration] context," said Eileen Tyson, a TOEFL representative in Australia this month for talks.

TOEFL, which dates back to 1964, and a new test from global publisher Pearson are known to have applied to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship for official status.
IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, which emerged from British and Australian collaboration, has had a monopoly since 2001 when the department mandated its test for student visas. It has also enjoyed a near monopoly for skilled migration. IELTS has struggled at times to keep up with the demand for its tests, leading to complaints about waiting times.

Helen Cook, who works with TOEFL in Australia, said insistence on IELTS by the department could be a disincentive for potential overseas students who had a TOEFL result for admission to an Australian university.
Reporting his 2009 study of overseas students who did not take up an offer, researcher Alan Olsen said: "Australia might need to look at why it does not accept TOEFL results for higher degree by research students from countries such as China, India and Iran."

In April 2008, education broker IDP Australia Pty Ltd paid $28.7 million to become sole owner of IELTS Australia Pty Ltd.

Four months later, the Immigration Department began a review of the IELTS monopoly by inviting other test providers to put their case for recognition. One estimate puts the worth of the Australian test market at about $30m, although this may be reduced by the government's decoupling of education and immigration.

Last month, Senator Evans wrote to TOEFL and other test providers to tell them of "his in-principle support for the acceptance of more than one English language test under the migration regulations", a department spokesman said.
There was some more work to be done on the security of tests, and on the equivalence of scores between different tests, before a final decision, the spokesman said.
The above article appeared in the Australian newspaper on the 19th May 2010. Has anyone heard whether matters have progressed any further regarding the use of other English tests such as TOEFL?

Help me on my MRT case
Old 4th February 2011, 06:35 PM   #2
bhaumikmpa

Default Help me on my MRT case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheelagh Blanckenberg View Post
The above article appeared in the Australian newspaper on the 19th May 2010. Has anyone heard whether matters have progressed any further regarding the use of other English tests such as TOEFL?
Hi Sheelagh,

I went through with your profile and your suggestions to posts.

I need some of your guidence, I have applied TR SUB 485,on AUG 2008, Departments of Immi had rejected my application on 21 Oct,2009 on the bassis of unsuficient IELTS score with chance to apply MRT,while I was overeseas.

I have apllied MRT on 9 Jan,2010 and Achieved overall 7 Bands individually no less than 6.5 bands,on 21 Jan,2010. I passed it to MRT allready.

Can you provide me guidence on this?
  • what decision MRT should made on my appeal on the basis on similar past outcomes.?
  • MRT has taken more than enough time to get outcome, what should be done to get on priority?
  • How long time Department of Immi will take once MRT remit my application to DIAC?
I am affraid to see if department of immi will again take a year or so to see my case i might need to appear for IELTS again; What are your suggestions to avoid it.

I think lot of applicants sailing in the same boat, Your guidence may helpful to many of us,

Many Thanks,
Regards
bhaumikmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Robert K Chelliah

Kandralingam Chelliah Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9254011

Hi Bhaumikmpa

Sheelagh has just returned from long break after "backpacking" all over India with her family. She is trying to assimilate back into Australian milieu. She finds the quietness in Perth unbearable after noisy India.

On the day of the decision making MRT takes on the role of the Primary Decison Maker for schedule 1 and 2 as DIAC does, for the class and sublcass of visa you had applied for. MRT will will consider all the evidence in the file on the day of its decsions and may even call for further input if necessary. This means the new IELTS test you submitted to MRT would be seen as the evidence of the IELTS requirments to satisfy the requirment of the Schedule 2 . The IELTS validity period should be alive until the the case is remited to DIAC and finally determined by the new case officer. Process wise MRT remits the case to DIAC and DIAC makes the final decsion. Those that comes with "force of facts", like IELTS results, remains as facts untill the primary decsion is made, and those things that carries "force of law" can be changed by admisnistartive procedures and legislation. Applying this principle you have established as a fact your IELTS requirement with the MRT and it wil remain so until a decsion is made by DIAC. As exception, there are certain "facts" that has specified period of validity, evenm though they come with force of facts, such as your medical and character clearance. These limitaions are specified in law and IELTS has no such restrictions. Once a valid IELTS result has been submitted it remain vlaid until a final decsion is made on the application by DIAC.

You can write to MRT to seek expeditied hearing/decsion if you feel if you some grounds. Anxiety may not form a sound ground. No harm in doing so and dont be disapointed if you do not get it.

Generally, MRT remits the case to the DIAC Secretaary who notes and registers MRT's decision (DIAC secretary looks for ommission/defeciency/error in the MRT decsion which very rarely occours. The Deaprtment can appeal against the MRT decsion and it rarely happens in ordinary cases). The Secretary sends the case to the processing office and usually another officer proceeds with the processing of outstanding requirements.

I hope this helps

cheers
Email : rkc@austmigration.com.sg
www.austmigration.com.au
Tel: +61 8 92464088
Robert K Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
bhaumikmpa

Thank you very much Robert, information you have provided is awesome!

May I know what is happening these days to such similar cases? I have been through MRT decissions and it seems in some cases they even don't called hearing and reconsider it to Diac? Any guess what should I expect as my outcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert K Chelliah View Post
Hi Bhaumikmpa

Sheelagh has just returned from long break after "backpacking" all over India with her family. She is trying to assimilate back into Australian milieu. She finds the quietness in Perth unbearable after noisy India.

On the day of the decision making MRT takes on the role of the Primary Decison Maker for schedule 1 and 2 as DIAC does, for the class and sublcass of visa you had applied for. MRT will will consider all the evidence in the file on the day of its decsions and may even call for further input if necessary. This means the new IELTS test you submitted to MRT would be seen as the evidence of the IELTS requirments to satisfy the requirment of the Schedule 2 . The IELTS validity period should be alive until the the case is remited to DIAC and finally determined by the new case officer. Process wise MRT remits the case to DIAC and DIAC makes the final decsion. Those that comes with "force of facts", like IELTS results, remains as facts untill the primary decsion is made, and those things that carries "force of law" can be changed by admisnistartive procedures and legislation. Applying this principle you have established as a fact your IELTS requirement with the MRT and it wil remain so until a decsion is made by DIAC. As exception, there are certain "facts" that has specified period of validity, evenm though they come with force of facts, such as your medical and character clearance. These limitaions are specified in law and IELTS has no such restrictions. Once a valid IELTS result has been submitted it remain vlaid until a final decsion is made on the application by DIAC.

You can write to MRT to seek expeditied hearing/decsion if you feel if you some grounds. Anxiety may not form a sound ground. No harm in doing so and dont be disapointed if you do not get it.

Generally, MRT remits the case to the DIAC Secretaary who notes and registers MRT's decision (DIAC secretary looks for ommission/defeciency/error in the MRT decsion which very rarely occours. The Deaprtment can appeal against the MRT decsion and it rarely happens in ordinary cases). The Secretary sends the case to the processing office and usually another officer proceeds with the processing of outstanding requirements.

I hope this helps

cheers
bhaumikmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Robert K Chelliah

MARN 9254011

I doubt if there will be a hearing in your case as you would have now met/satisfied the requirements for which the visa application was refused. It will be just a decsion making process.

Cheers
www.austmigration.com.au
Curtin University may give up IELTS
Old 30th March 2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Migration Help

Default Curtin University may give up IELTS

Quote:
CURTIN University may give up the International English Language Testing System business as too risky, vice-chancellor Jeanette Hacket says.

On Monday, Professor Hacket was one of the last witnesses to appear before West Australian anti-corruption hearings into IELTS fraud at Curtin's test centre.

She told the HES a preliminary assessment showed security risks in the IELTS software and management risks in the contract between Curtin and IELTS Australia. "It's difficult for [Curtin's] line manager to exercise the usual, full, line-management control over the IELTS testing operation," she said.

If a review by Ernst & Young confirmed these risks, Curtin would sever its ties with IELTS.

The WA Corruption and Crime Commission was told the IELTS software often crashed, causing log-in problems that in turn led Curtin's staff to share passwords.

Staff member Keith Low admitted taking $1500 to change multiple test results using co-workers' passwords. The scam was detected last August.
Part of his service was prompt test dates when former overseas students seeking permanent residency faced long queues for an IELTS test.

IELTS enjoys a government-backed monopoly as the only acceptable proof of English competence under sought-after visa categories. In May last year, the government agreed in principle that other test providers could be approved. The HES understands the Curtin case is not expected to delay an announcement.

"Potential English language test providers are already being assessed," a spokeswoman for Immigration Minister Chris Bowen said yesterday.
Professor Hacket said: "If there had been more competition . . . it may have been necessary for [IELTS owner] Cambridge to progress faster in their software development."

See SOURCE for the rest of the article.

MH
Migration Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Robert K Chelliah

MARN 9254011

Hi Sheelagh

Can I cut and paste this to MIA forum ?

Cheers

Robert
www.austmigration.com.au
Old 30th March 2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Migration Help

Sure you can Robert. It's in the public domain.

MH
Migration Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Glenn Pereira

Glenn Joseph Pereira Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9251523

I have written to the CCC WA to extend their investigation to

-what are the minimum qualification for the persons who set the test
-What are the minimum qualification of th person who corrects the test
-Who has set the minimum qualifications for these persons ?
-To check every person involved in setting the test whether they are qualified
-to check every persons who have corrected the test are qualified

Regards
Glenn Pereira
Glenn Pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pereira View Post
I have written to the CCC WA to extend their investigation to

-what are the minimum qualification for the persons who set the test
-What are the minimum qualification of th person who corrects the test
-Who has set the minimum qualifications for these persons ?
-To check every person involved in setting the test whether they are qualified
-to check every persons who have corrected the test are qualified

Regards
Glenn Pereira
Thanks for this info Glenn.
Hopefully your advice is taken on board by CCC WA.
One has to wonder if other similar rorts have not take place at other institutions around the world. Highly likely it has.

Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote