Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Student visa issues

Notices

Pregnant application for student visa
Old 6th May 2014, 10:10 AM   #1
freyzin

Default Pregnant application for student visa

Hi, I hope someone can shed light on my predicament: I have a place to do my PhD in Australia beginning this July. I have an IPRSS scholarship so am considered a sponsored student I believe. I am also 7 months pregnant, baby due mid july.

I have been living in Australia for 3 years on another student visa which ran out in April so I am currently staying in Bali while I sort out the next student visa to come back to Aus and give birth in July.

I am hoping to have a home birth. On the application form it asks if you intend to receive follow-up care for pregnancy/cancer etc. I'm worried that if I state my pregnancy the visa will be denied. Being English I am eligible for Medicare but may not be eligible for OSHC if I'm pregnant?

If I don't mention the pregnancy - even though it doesn't outright ask if I am pregnant - is this fraud?

Old 6th May 2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Hi Freyzin

Welcome to the forum.

A few things to think about:

1. As you will need follow-up care for your pregnancy you should answer yes to this question. Even if granted the student visa now non-disclosure could lead to future visa problems on character grounds.
2. Most airlines do not allow pregnant women to fly when in the last trimester
3. The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with the UK covers treatment that is medically essential. This usually means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home. Have you checked the costs incurred will be covered by Medicare?
4. You need to also think about the risks involved should either you or the baby have complications following the birth. Will Medicare cover the costs? it may be wise to find out as you do not want to be left with a costly nightmare. It happens.

Just my thoughts on some of the risks and costs involved. There are all sorts of other issues one could ponder on (e.g. finding a midwife, the stress, practicality and wisdom of what you are thinking of doing) but then, presumably, you have taken these into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyzin View Post
Hi, I hope someone can shed light on my predicament: I have a place to do my PhD in Australia beginning this July. I have an IPRSS scholarship so am considered a sponsored student I believe. I am also 7 months pregnant, baby due mid july.

I have been living in Australia for 3 years on another student visa which ran out in April so I am currently staying in Bali while I sort out the next student visa to come back to Aus and give birth in July.

I am hoping to have a home birth. On the application form it asks if you intend to receive follow-up care for pregnancy/cancer etc. I'm worried that if I state my pregnancy the visa will be denied. Being English I am eligible for Medicare but may not be eligible for OSHC if I'm pregnant?

If I don't mention the pregnancy - even though it doesn't outright ask if I am pregnant - is this fraud?

Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 12:40 PM   #3
freyzin

Thank you so much for you reply.

I am able to fly up to 36 weeks and all is well thus far with the pregnancy so I do not expect horrendous costs, although I have money to cover this if it should happen.

Do you think then, in light of maybe not being granted OSHC for the student visa I would be wiser to travel to Australia on a tourist visa and apply for a student visa when there, after the baby has been born?

If the student visa gets denied then would I also be denied a tourist visa and this would
a) leave me stranded in Bali/unable to get home (Sydney has been home for 3 years)
b) create future problems applying for a visa as I have already been denied one?
freyzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 10:19 PM   #4
nida

Hello Sir,
I am nida. I wanna ask that I am applying for student visa and immigration for Australia. I am 2 months pregnant. Do my pregnancy creates problem for me to get visa or not. If yes then please tell me as soon as possible.
I am applying for masters program. My pregnancy would not creates problem in travelling. I am travelling to Australia for the first time. I had also bought OSHC. Does any other health cover is neccessary to buy for me??
nida is offline   Reply With Quote