Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Other migration questions

Notices

Tourist visa confusion - relationship status?
Old 15th August 2011, 01:58 AM   #1
escantril

Default Tourist visa confusion - relationship status?

Hello all! Am quite new but have been lurking for a bit; it's very encouraging that there are so many helpful people on these boards.

I'm in the process of preparing a tourist visa application to visit my (same-sex) partner in Australia. We have been in a long-distance relationship for almost two years, and she has visited me twice in my country (no visa required) while I have visited her once on a tourist visa. Aside from providing accommodation my partner will not be supporting me financially -- I have a job that enables me to pay for all other expenses, including my roundtrip ticket (which has already been bought and paid for). So, she will not be sponsoring me.

There's a little confusion about the "relationship status" question in the application form, however. The last time I visited her, I answered "never married or been in a de facto relationship" and referred to her as my friend, because at the time I was not out and neither was she. However this time around we have both come out to our families and I refer to her as my partner. This would hint that I should check "de facto" for relationship status, but...

When I looked at the DIAC site, it stated the definition of de facto partner thus:
A person is the de facto partner of another person (whether of the same sex or a different sex) if:

- they have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others;
- the relationship between them is genuine and continuing;
- they live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis; and
- they are not related by family.
We do fit all requirements except for the "living together" part... but then again, I've also seen on the DIAC site that the living-together requirement may be waived in the appropriate circumstances. Does that mean I can say I'm in a de facto relationship, even though we live apart? It's important to me to be able to acknowledge our relationship, and I definitely don't want to misrepresent myself as single when I'm not. In addition, I wouldn't want my answer to prejudice any future applications for a partner visa.

I really would appreciate any help! Thanks so much!

Old 10th January 2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Kevalin

Hi there, I am in a similar situation right now. Keen to know how did you go with yours situation?

Cheers,
K
Kevalin is offline   Reply With Quote