Go Back   Migration Help > Migration > Employer sponsored

Notices

I need to find an RMA in Perth, please, asap
Old 31st August 2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Poms In Oz

Default I need to find an RMA in Perth, please, asap

Hi Sheelagh and anyone else who might read this.

Someone from another forum has asked me a question. I don't know the anwer and I think that the prospective employer in Perth needs to see an RMA pronto.

The facts that I have been told are as follows:

Somewhere in or very close to the Perth CBD there is a small Hairdressing salon. The owner only employs one or two stylists - it is very small and he owns it - the business is not part of a chain, is not a franchise or anything.

His niece is in the UK and she is a very experienced Hairdresser. Her uncle is very keen to employ her as soon as she gets to Perth because she knows more about colouring hair than the stylist(s) that he currently employs.

The Hairdresser has obtained SS from WA and has converted her GSM application to an application for a sc 176 visa.

Ever since the logjams started with the GSM visas, the uncle and his niece have been considering employer-sponsorship instead but nobody is sure about whether it is possible. The issues are:

1. The employer is right in the middle of the Perth CBD! There is no way that an RSMS visa could be carved out of his location.

2. He pays the other stylist(s) about $$777 a week plus 9% super. (I don't know how that bit works but this is what I have been told.) This remuneration is nowhere near the $47,220 or whatever it is that DIAC seem to require.

3. Apparently the pay that the chap pays the Aussie stylist(s) is absolutely the going rate for a salon in the middle of Perth. He is definitely not trying to pay the existing staff less than she/they are worth.

4. He particularly wants the niece because she has been trained by Clairol to use Clairol colouring, which is the brand that her uncle wants to use in his salon because he thinks it is the best one.

5. The uncle has been to DIAC in Perth last Friday and saw somebody there. He explained that $47,220 is simply much higher than the going rate for a stylist in Perth CBD. He is not prepared to pay that much money if he can possibly help it because he does not think it would leave him with any sort of reasonable profit, since he cannot charge his customers whatever he likes.

The DIAC person told him that the $47,220 is just a global figure for the whole of Australia, which takes into account what stylists in Sydney and Melbourne are earning. Apparently it is not essential to promise to pay more than the local going rate in order to satisfy DIAC for an ENS visa.

6. The uncle might be prepared to offer his niece 47,220 solely in order to overcome her visa problems, but he definitely couldn't - and wouldn't - do it if he had to offer the other stylist(s) a whopping payrise to match the salary for the niece. He would not be able to afford to do that.

7. The uncle's business is very small. There is only himself and one other stylist or possibly two. I don't know whether this might be too small?

The idea is an ENS visa unless it really would be a better idea to go for a sc 457 visa.

The niece is asking me whether it is possible for her uncle to offer her the same sort of pay as he is paying the other stylist(s) and still be OK on getting the visa? I have no idea. I've got to grips with GSM visas since most of the queries that crop up are about those but I stay out of threads about ENS and 457 visas because I know hardly anything about how either of them work.

I think the uncle ought to go and see an RMA in Perth. Since his salon really is in the middle of the CBD - and I don't know Perth at all well (I've only been to Perth CBD once, many years ago) does a location called [XYZ] Court ring a bell? I think it might be a well known shopping mall or pedestrian precinct. I think [XYZ] Court is a well known location. That is where the salon is, apparently, so for preference the uncle would not want a recommendation to an RMA whose office is on the outskirts of Mandurah!

(I'm sorry to be vague about the location of the salon - I was told the address many months ago but I have forgotten it except that I am 95% sure that it is Something Court - I can't remember the first word.)

I am looking for the names of a couple of RMAs who would be quite close to the uncle's salon and who definitely know about employer-sponsored visas in detail, have lots of recent, relevant experience with them etc, please.

From what I can vaguely gather, this figure of $47,220 really doesn't sound sensible. I seem to think that an ENS employee is supposed to get this amount regardless of what s/he does for a living or where. Does the minimum wage amount to this much money a year?

Many thanks

Gill

Old 31st August 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Robert K Chelliah

Kandralingam Chelliah Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9254011

Good Morning Gill,

The xyz Court you are referring could be London Court, right in the centre of Perth.

In reading the scenario, $ 47K is the gazetted minimum wage under 457 visa. The uncle is better off looking at ENS 121 which is less onerous.

Ask the uncle to call me, if you and he wish, on 92464088 and I will be happy to give him some pro bono advise.

Cheers

Robert K Chelliah
rkc@austmigration.com.sg
Tel 08 92464088
Robert K Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Hi Gill

I agree the minimum wage set by our immigration regs is quite ridiculous in that it applies across the length and breadth of the country, regional or urban. It causes immense issues for many potential sponsoring employers but is unfortunately a non-negotiable hurdle to be met.

Although I would love to get involved and meet the potential sponsor and discuss various tactics I am not taking on clients at present (and have not done for the last 18 months) due to life threatening health reasons - enter hospital on Thursday for another operation with a further one, or possibly two more ops to follow. All being well after getting through those, I should be ready to climb back into the saddle!

I will however, email you the contact details of other RMAs in Perth who I would recommend.

Cheers
Sheelagh
Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Sheelagh Brigid Blanckenberg Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0100161

Thanks for your post Robert and offer to help - my post and yours crossed in the electronic ether!!

Sheelagh Blanckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Robert K Chelliah

Kandralingam Chelliah Registered Migration Agent
MARN 9254011

Gill

I have known of situations where the business owner combines wages with sub-leasing of saloon chairs to boost income.

Cheers

Robert K Chelliah
MARN 9254011
Robert K Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Poms In Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert K Chelliah View Post
Gill

I have known of situations where the business owner combines wages with sub-leasing of saloon chairs to boost income.

Cheers

Robert K Chelliah
MARN 9254011
Hi Robert

???? Leasing salon chairs??? Whatever it is, that does sound very clever to me. Every lawyer has a pet dog called Loophole, as they say. I will reply to the niece and recommend that her uncle should contact you, to see whether it is possible to escape the GSM log-jam on this occasion.

I am completely uncertain about employer-sponsored visas. I know a tiny amount about RSMS visas but that is only because friends of mine have obtained them but running a forum and not doing any of this for a living, I have the luxury of being able to cherry-pick between the bits that interest me and the bits that don't. As far as I am concerned, it is acceptable to say, "I don't know about that group of visas so if you are stuck on them, I suggest an RMA." Other bits about Aussie Immi do interest me so I have found out about those but only because they happen to be of personal interest to me. It is a bit weird, but it seems to work on the whole!

Turning to Perth, London Court does sound promising. I think the salon might well be there somewhere.

My sister lives in Jandakot now but she used to live in Samson, closer to Fremantle. I don't particularly like Perth - I feel the isolation and remoteness, which I know is not a universal sensation. I loved Sydney on the couple of occasions that I've been there. You could, actually, feel equally isolated and remote in Sydney if you look at the geography but in Sydney, I've always felt very close to San Francisco - which I love.

Anyhow, my sister once decided that she and I should go NOR. I remember a shopping precinct and a seriously hideous black & white mock-Tudor edifice and thinking, "Why on earth build something mock Tudor here - complete with fake beams everywhere?"

I can't remember what it was called but there was a food-hall like the E-Sheds in Fremantle. I think that that idea is an absolutely brilliant one and I don't understand why it doesn't work in the UK. I love the idea that you walk into the building and although it owes a bit to the hawker stalls in the Far East in one sense, in another sense it does not owe anything to a hawker stall area at all because you sure as hell ain't likely to find any Greek food in Ipoh, for example! I think the E-Sheds are briiliant (particularly with my exceptionally greedy bro in law in tow!) He is very tall and beefy so he likes the idea of a roast with 3 or 4 meats. My own attitude is, "I can make that at home. I want the food where I would not get equally good results at home." I think it is brilliant that in Australia, you can all go to the same place and eat totally different things. All of which will be 100% authentic because of the cooks.

Here in the UK, the idea was tried for a while in Canutes Pavilion in Southampton (about 5 miles away.) It flopped. I'm still trying to figure out why because there is a lot of money to be made from the food hall idea in the UK, I reckon.

Later, they built West Quay - which is a typical 5 -storey covered shopping mall. I've done several of them. The bottom 2 storeys are car parks. The basement (in effect) is books and a posh supermarket. The books and the supermarket are the anchor tenants who will get the footfall to go down to that area. The rest of the retail space on that floor depends on who turns up to fill it, frankly. If there is a market for Chinese Herbal Remedies and if you can prove to me that you can afford the rent for the unit then go for it.

The next two storeys are the serious retailers - fashion etc.

At the top, one has the Food Terrace, the cash machines and the loos. I know perfectly well how the rent roll works in such a place, who the anchor tenants on each floor have to be in order to get the place to work commercially etc.

But when you get up to the Food, what you see is "A Total Lack of Imagination That Works Commercially." McJunk plus Fish n Chips, basically. Fish n Chips is British, McJunk is American and apart from that, there is zero cultural/ethnic diversity. Plus the odd Coffee Establishment - which does seem to be a trendy idea but for 5, I'm content with good old Instant, at home, and I reckon that most us are. Hell, what is the reason for going shopping? Wasting oodles of hard-earned or something?

Nevertheless, commercially this extremely limited idea works like a charm in the UK, whereas I think that the Aussies would reject it completely.

For some reason, Australia embraces the idea of diversity with food but the UK market rejects it. If you try to copy the Aussie Idea, it doesn't work in the UK but I don't understand why not.

If I can crack this peculiar conundrum, I'm on a fast track to squillions of bucks, for sure....!

The bit that continues to interest me is the Food - for obvious reasons, I suspect!

Cheers

Gill
Poms In Oz is offline   Reply With Quote