View Single Post
Old 8th January 2014, 12:29 PM   #2
nvoorst's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,073
Nick van Voorst van Beest Registered Migration Agent
MARN 0640648

You should not not rely on any of the advice provided by DIBP over the phone, as it is often incorrect and/or contradictory.

In regards to aged parent visas,only the main applicant needs to be "aged".

In order to meet the Balance of Family test, your sister would have to become an Australian Permanent Resident or an Australian Citizen (unless she is an eligible NZ Citizen, which is unlikely, as she has been here only 3 years).

See details below :

The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before you apply for this visa.

The balance-of-family test:

at least half of your children live permanently in Australia or more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

To be counted as usually living in Australia, your children must be one of the following:

Australian citizens
Australian permanent residents who usually live in Australia
eligible New Zealand citizens who usually live in Australia.
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648


Get the APP:
Android: AUS VISA

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances. Migration advice can only be provided after a contract has been entered into and the required fee has been paid.
nvoorst is offline   Reply With Quote