Migration Help

Migration Help (http://forum.migrationhelp.com.au/index.php)
-   Family migration (http://forum.migrationhelp.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Visa 143 balance of family question (http://forum.migrationhelp.com.au/showthread.php?t=2678)

Havoc 6th September 2015 08:02 PM

Visa 143 balance of family question

Hi, I am an Australian Permanent Resident, and I want to bring my mother over to Australia to live with my husband and I.

My question is regarding the balance of family test for the Contributary Parent Visa 143. My mother has 2 biological children, myself and my brother. My brother lives in the USA but since I live in Australia that's 50%. HOWEVER I am wondering....my mother is divorced from her last husband, but he had 2 kids from a previous relationship with another woman. The kids from that relationship are over 30 years old each, now. So...do these 2 kids count in the balance of family test, even though they have no relation to my mother at all and she is divorced from their father? Would my mother meet the balance of family requirement or not?

Thanks for your time!

nvoorst 7th September 2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havoc (Hozzászólás 10979)
Hi, I am an Australian Permanent Resident, and I want to bring my mother over to Australia to live with my husband and I.

My question is regarding the balance of family test for the Contributary Parent Visa 143. My mother has 2 biological children, myself and my brother. My brother lives in the USA but since I live in Australia that's 50%. HOWEVER I am wondering....my mother is divorced from her last husband, but he had 2 kids from a previous relationship with another woman. The kids from that relationship are over 30 years old each, now. So...do these 2 kids count in the balance of family test, even though they have no relation to my mother at all and she is divorced from their father? Would my mother meet the balance of family requirement or not?

Thanks for your time!

Normally, if the relationship between the step-parent and the child's parent ceases, the step-relationship between the step-parent and the child also ceases. The relationship may be severed by divorce or separation or because the parent has died.

Adult step-children (of former partners or former partners of the parent's current partner) are not counted in the balance of family test, as they do not fall under the definition of step-child in regulation 1.03.

Havoc 8th September 2015 05:41 AM

Thank you for your answer, it it very helpful!

nvoorst 9th September 2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havoc (Hozzászólás 10981)
Thank you for your answer, it it very helpful!

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that anything posted here is of a general nature only and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Feel free to drop me a line if you require professional assistance with the application.