PDA

View Full Version : My responsibilities as a sponsor

Corry3707
16th January 2018, 10:20 AM
I sponsored my husband on a 309 Visa to come to Australia. We were married in the UK in July 2016. We moved to Australia in August 2016 on the 309 visa. Things have become difficult in our relationship; he is very controlling and does not like me to do anything without him. I have found this stressful and feel I need a break. I would like to live in seperate houses to see if we can re-establish some relationship boundries but I am not sure of my legal responsibilities. He is in full time work and wants to stay in Australia. I am Happy for him to stay but am not sure if I can live with him any longer.
What are my legal responsibilities?
His Visa is up for review soon; but many of the referees are aware of the relationship difficulties and would have trouble filling in the paper work.
Thanks for any advice.

nvoorst
29th January 2018, 11:19 PM
I sponsored my husband on a 309 Visa to come to Australia. We were married in the UK in July 2016. We moved to Australia in August 2016 on the 309 visa. Things have become difficult in our relationship; he is very controlling and does not like me to do anything without him. I have found this stressful and feel I need a break. I would like to live in seperate houses to see if we can re-establish some relationship boundries but I am not sure of my legal responsibilities. He is in full time work and wants to stay in Australia. I am Happy for him to stay but am not sure if I can live with him any longer.
What are my legal responsibilities?
His Visa is up for review soon; but many of the referees are aware of the relationship difficulties and would have trouble filling in the paper work.
Thanks for any advice.

You’d have no further responsibilities towards him, as far as Immigration is concerned, if the relationship breaks down.

Your overall sponsorship obligations would have been outlined in the application form, but are currently not legally enforceable.