PDA

View Full Version : Does 856 visa remain in effect after citizenship granted?

Howard
25th May 2012, 01:54 PM
Dear All,

I have recently been granted a 856 visa which is sponsored by my employer where I have been working continuously for 6 years. As users in this forum have sometimes enquired, there may be an obligation for a 856 visa holder to pay his best effort to remain with employer for 3 years, or chances of the visa being revoked exist.

According to my residency record, I will be eligible for application of citizenship in next year. I would like to seek your expert advice that once I obtained my citizenship, does my 856 visa stay effective? i.e., Can I change job or leave Australia without being bound by the potentially 3-year-sevice condition?

I have consulted a registered migration agent, to my surprise he couldn't answer the above question. I will greatly appreciate if you have a clear view on this.

Thanks,
Howard

nvoorst
25th May 2012, 07:01 PM
Once you become an Australian citizen, you do not require any type of visa. Any contractual issues would depend on the terms of your employment contract.

Howard
28th May 2012, 12:52 PM
Once you become an Australian citizen, you do not require any type of visa. Any contractual issues would depend on the terms of your employment contract.

Thanks much for your prompt reply, Nick!